Drum Castle is one of the oldest tower houses in Scotland, with 700 years of history stamped into it’s battlements, medieval square tower and sprawling extensions. The Royal Forest and Tower of Drum were given to the Irvine family by Robert the Bruce in 1323 and a Jacobean mansion house was added much later.
The Garden of Historic Roses shows how roses have been cultivated from the 17th to the 20th century. The ancient oak forest adjoins the castle, providing a home for red kites, roe deer, red squirrels and badgers. There are also wildlife meadows, a pond and a new viewing platform, children can enjoy the adventure play area. The Castle, Tearoom and Shop are open for tours at weekends throughout the year.
As one of the National Trust for Scotland’s flagship properties and an important stop on Aberdeenshire’s famous Castle Trail, Drum Castle is a ‘must visit’ attraction on the North East 250.